Irregular Bleeding, PMS symptoms, and gynecological conditions may all point to imbalances that can lead to a difficult pregnancy, trouble conceiving, or miscarriage according to traditional Chinese medicine (TCM). Presently my acupuncture clinic specializes in Veteran Care, PTSD, and Pain Management; however, years ago I had a large infertility practice at a hormonal health clinic. I would explain to women struggling with infertility (and some men) that it usually took 4-6 months to bring the body in to balance to allow for conception using herbs and acupuncture. Self-care with herbs alone may take longer, but it is worth trying before embarking on costly ART infertility treatments such as IVF. Find links to articles explaining how each condition is resolved below:
- Heavy Bleeding-indicates that Blood and Qi are not circulating correctly in the Lower Jiao.
- Clots-indicate that Blood and Qi are not circulating correctly in the Lower Jiao.
- Cramps-indicate that Blood and Qi are not circulating correctly in the Lower Jiao.
- Dark Menstrual Blood-indicates that Blood and Qi are not circulating correctly in the Lower Jiao.
- Spotting Between Cycles-indicates Kidney Deficiency commonly.
- Short Menstrual Cycles-indicates Kidney Deficiency commonly.
- Long Menstrual Cycles-indicates Qi Deficiency commonly.
- Moodiness w/ Menstrual Period-Indicates Liver Qi Stagnation
- PCOS-indicates that Blood and Qi are not circulating correctly in the Lower Jiao and that Dampness has accumulated.
- Endometriosis-indicates that Blood and Qi are not circulating correctly in the Lower Jiao.
- Lower Back Aching w/ Menstrual Cycle-indicates Kidney Deficiency in most cases.
- Amenorrhea-indicates Blood Deficiency and Qi Deficiency in most cases.
There is no “hormonal” system in Chinese medicine; rather, the function of hormones are covered through the interplay of the energetic organ systems.
- The Liver controls menstrual Blood and plays a major role in gynecological disorders. Liver Qi Stagnation as explained here must be resolved.
- The Kidney energetic system rules over reproduction generally and must be nourished as described here.
- The Spleen must control pathogenic Internal Dampness so that it does not accumulate in the Lower Jiao and block the free flow of Blood and Qi.