As an herbal educator of over three decades, it has concerned me that herbalists have so few career opportunities. It is rare to find an herbalist who can support themselves as a clinical practitioner; most teach others, make products to sell, or work in a health food store. Years ago, I heard the term “village healer” and the concept sparked my imagination. I came up with a list of skills that are required for a community healer:
- An understanding of a viable system of medicine
- Assessment and diagnostic skills
- A rich toolbox of effective healing modalities
Typically, one would have to spend four years at acupuncture school to attain these skills; for most this is prohibitively expensive. I was certain that a student could acquire highly marketable skills in a fraction of the time affordably! The resulting one-year program with a dynamic school curriculum is designed to elevate herbalists and/or massage therapists to effective integrated healthcare practitioners! Here is what you will learn:
- Traditional Chinese Medical (TCM) Massage and Acupressure
- Cupping, Gua-sha, Tuina, Moxibustion,
- Chinese and Western Herbalism
- Clinical Uses of Essential OIls
- Pulse-Tongue Diagnosis, and much more
Students are steeped in TCM theory along with treatment protocols for specific ailments. With diagnostic skills and the understanding of the energetic qualities of herbs, graduates of this program will be able to craft effective treatment strategies and herbal prescriptions. This highly condensed program infused with pertinent information will not waste your time!
- Modular weekend schedule for traveling/working students
- 4,200 square foot clinic and teaching space
- Hands-on supervised clinical experience
- Western and Chinese Herbal Apothecary with over 350 substances
Opportunities in integrative medical is rapidly growing! We prepare our students for jobs in medical settings or as entrepreneurs with their own free-standing clinic.